Monday, September 12, 2016

Diego, again...

Although my painting activity has been pretty much eclipsed by what I still have a certain reluctance in calling my "day job", I have, however, had the opportunity recently to execute a copy of a Velazquez -- his Coronation of the Virgin.

Coronation of the Virgin, c. 1642
Diego Velazquez, oil on canvas, 176 x 134 cm
Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid, SPAIN

A symphony of reds, violets, pinks and blue set sublimely against a celestial backdrop of whites and bluish-greys, its composition is unsurpassed in stability and in its success in making the viewer´s eyes focus on what is probably the most breathtaking representation of the Mother of the Saviour in Western painting. 
Once again I was just dumbfounded and held in reverential awe everyday that I would study each detail of this piece taking in the genius of the painter from Sevilla and his unparalleled ability to render every single element using his particular brand of "shorthand". It was truly a very challenging and difficult task to copy the painting which, for me, is not just a slavish process of laying down the right shape of color in its proper place, but more importantly, to transmit as best as I can that character and "personality" of the brush marks as these are what differentiate one painter from another, their way of speaking.
The copy was executed for a parish church somewhere in Texas -- perhaps once it is installed in the church I will offer a link for its complete address. I did my version about 25% larger than the original as per request of the client, and on wood panel instead of canvas. Although I am very pleased with the result, I´m not really sure as to how the colors will read in your monitors and there is always a discrepancy with how it looks in person. In any case, this is my version, in its final frame. The painting measures 225 x 152 cm.











No comments:

Post a Comment